Hi. My name’s MaK, and I refuse to buy eggnog from the store. Ever since my Aunt Karla visited us a couple years ago just before Christmas time and whipped up a batch of her delicious, EASY homemade eggnog from scratch, I simply cannot. To me, store bought eggnog is a thick mixture of processed eggs, sugar, and regret that’s just plain hard to swallow, and frankly does not mix well with brandy.
So in order to share this lovely, Christmasy world where eggnog does not taste like liquid quiche, today I am sharing my Aunt Karl’s easy homemade eggnog recipe. Your family and any other holiday guests will thank you.
*Disclaimer: This is an easy homemade eggnog recipe, because it is RAW. It is delicious. But I do not cook the eggs, so — consumption of raw food can cause illness, give you a tummyache, blah blah, etc. I choose to use this recipe because I get fresh, organic eggs from a source that I trust, but feel free to find a tempered egg recipe to if you’re not comfortable with the raw egg thing.
What You’ll Need:
- A Large Bowl (Or Empty 1-Gallon Bucket) WITH a Lid
- A standing mixer
- One Dozen Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Pint Half and Half
- 1 Pint Milk
- 1 oz Rum Flavoring
- You need to crack the whole dozen eggs up, separating the whites from the yolks (get a few bowls out – one for yolks, one for whites, etc.)
- Put egg whites in mixer and whip to stiff peaks – the transfer egg whites to your big bowl/bucket.
- Next, put your cream in the mixer and whip to stiff peaks — sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar and whip to combine
- Add whipped cream into the same bucket as your whites, then also add the half and half and milk into the bucket.
- Go back to your mixer and beat egg yolks together with the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar until it’s blended thoroughly, then add 1 oz (usually 1/2 a bottle) to this mixture
- Add yolk/sugar/rum flavor mixture to the rest of the bucket and stir to combine
- Let chill 6 hours or over night, stir again before serving
- OBVIOUSLY: Best served chilled with a shot of brandy (for those of your elves that are 21+)
Is eggnog a Christmas tradition in your house? Have you always bought it, or have you had it from scratch yet? Do you have another easy homemade eggnog recipe to share? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below, or or find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.