If you struggle with the idea of cutting down on sauces from a packet or jar, this is the perfect starter for those who are just beginning their journey of cooking real food from scratch. The best part? This creamy, savory coconut sauce could make a piece of cardboard taste delicious — but it’s actually HEALTHY, and it really can go over just about anything, from chicken, to veggies, to fish.
And it’s super fast to boot, so let’s get to it.
- Sprayable Coconut Oil (Enough to coat your pan to sautee onions)
- 1 Small Onion (or 1/2 a large onion), diced
- 1 Clove of Garlic, chopped (Feel free to sub 1 teaspoon of garlic powder if you don’t have fresh)
- 1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
*Note: I recommend full fat coconut milk (I use Aroy-D). Be sure to check the ingredients to make sure it’s straight up coconut. Some discount brands will be “low fat” or will include several preservatives in their ingredients — these are processed, have little flavor, and have a waxy quality that isn’t great for that creamy quality you want in a sauce.
- Put a saucepan on medium heat; once it’s hot, add your diced onions, stirring occupationally until they’re translucent
- Add chopped garlic and stir briefly, then pour in the coconut milk
- Simmer on medium heat, uncovered, until sauce is reduced and thickens — about 10 minutes.
- Pour over meat, vegetables, or anything you want!
Creamy Coconut Sauce Tips:
- When I’m eating super clean, I don’t add any other seasonings, so this is a great sauce for low-sodium diets. If you’re not worried about salt, by all means, add some!
- You can double the recipe, then pour into ice cube trays to portion it out. Once frozen, place in a freezer bag, & you’ve got perfect portions for quick, single meals.
- If you like a sweet and spicy combination, add some Sriracha to your sauce. My husband loves this. I am a weenie about spicy food, so I do not.
- This is an awesome substitute for any creamy sauce you might crave; you can add some Parmesan cheese to make it an Alfredo-style sauce, or add it to soups that you want to have a creamy quality!
Alright, now go. Make your creamy coconut sauce, and let me know what you put it on, because it’s so versatile and I’m always looking for ideas! Let me know how you used the sauce in the comments section below, or find me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.